What is the Madison Public Education Scholarship Fund?
The Madison Public Education Scholarship Fund (MPE-SF) was created to provide individuals, groups, and corporations the opportunity to support Madison Public School students as they seek higher education beyond the excellent preparation offered them by the Town of Madison. Since the MPE-SF is a component fund of The Madison Foundation, a 501(c)(3) community foundation, all contributions not only benefit the children of Madison but are fully tax-deductible.
Why give to the MPE-SF?
A gift to the MPE-SF can honor a teacher, your child, a parent, a grandparent, a retiree, a special day or an event. A gift to the MPE-SF can be a memorial to a loved one. A gift to the Scholarship Fund can be made as a class project or as a community group project. A gift to the MPE-SF will assist worthy college-bound students in pursuit of further education.
How does the MPE Scholarship Fund work?
Your tax-deductible contribution would be submitted to The Madison Foundation, noting “MPE-SF” or “MPE-SF in honor or memory of .” You and the individual or family you honor or memorialize will receive an acknowledgement of your gift. Your contribution will be added to the General Scholarship Fund or to a specific named fund per your instructions. A named scholarship fund can be established when gifts total more than $5,000 in a year. Selection of scholarship recipients will remain the responsibility of the Daniel Hand High School Scholarship Committee (or other Madison Public School officials). They in turn will request that the MPE Scholarship Fund Advisory Council and The Madison Foundation Board of Directors approve the release of funds for the annual scholarships.
In what ways can you give?
There are many ways to give to the MPE Scholarship Fund of The Madison Foundation. Gifts may be made by check payable to The Madison Foundation, Inc. with a note “MPE-SF,” as a gift of appreciated stock or other asset, by naming the Foundation MPE-SF in your will, or by naming it as the beneficiary of a retirement account or life insurance policy.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- How can I apply for scholarships? Applications for awards and scholarships are processed through the Daniel Hand High School Guidance Office. Please contact them at: 203-245-6360 for more information.
- Are my donations tax deductible? Yes. The Madison Foundation is a 501(c)(3) community foundation so contributions to the MPE Funds are tax-deductible.
- Does my donation qualify for corporate matching grants? Check with your employer to determine whether they will match a gift to your community foundation.
- How else can I help? Enthusiastic volunteers can help with a variety of activities. Contact us via email at: email@example.com.
- What is the Madison Public Education Scholarship Fund Advisory Council? The Advisory Council for the MPE Scholarship Fund is composed of a representative from The Madison Foundation, the Madison Superintendent of Schools or his/her representative, the Daniel Hand High School (DHHS) Director of Guidance Services, a DHHS parent-at-Large, and a representative of the named scholarship donors. The Town of Madison/Madison Public Schools Manager of Fiscal Services and the Treasurer of The Madison Foundation will act as advisors for the Council. This group reviews the request for scholarship funds made by the DHHS Selection Committee, approves or revises the request as needed, and forwards the final version to The Madison Foundation for approval and the release of funds.
- How can you contact us for more information? You may contact the Town of Madison/MPS Manager of Fiscal Services at 245-6310 or the Madison Foundation via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
The MPE SF includes the following named sub-funds:
- Madison Public Education General Scholarship Fund
- Component Funds as of September 2005
- William E. Allen Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Dr. Robert H. Brown Award Fund
- Charles Collins Memorial Book Award Fund
- Mary E. Coughlin Memorial Award Fund
- Jamie Leigh Dannemann Memorial Award Fund
- Taryn Datsko Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Paul Doyan Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Carol Dziema Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Sally Ehrenwerth Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Lauren M. Grayson Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Madison Grange Fund
- Jordan M. Kinscherf Scholarship Fund
- Harts School English Prize Fund
- Dunnith R. Heenan, III, Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Barbara Jurash Scholarship Fund
- Madison Association of Democratic Women Award Fund
- Laura Ann Martone Award Fund
- GGE. Munger Memorial Prize Fund
- Wilbur W. Pardee Award Fund
- GilbertW.& Gilbert S. Raposa Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Frances N. Sadek Scholarship Fund
- Seaman Scholarship Fund
- Pat Shonk Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Elissa Sullivan Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Daniel R. Terry Memorial Award Fund
- Van Gelder Art Award Fund
- Carolyn Wenker Award Fund